Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lentil Stew

Frickin' freezing outside!! I had some leftovers so I decided to make a stew! One of my favorite things to eat when I was a kid and I was freezing my too-cus was my mom's homemade beef stew. I found this recipe online and thought it was missing something, so I changed it up.

Lentil Stew


1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil
1 onion diced
1 carrot sliced
4 cups vegetable broth (*I used 5 cups)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 cup dry lentils (*I used 2 cups cooked lentils I had left over)
1/4 tsp pepper (*I used 1/2 tsp)
1/4 tsp thyme (*I used 1/2 tsp)
2 bay leaves
*** I also added 1 lb of red potatoes and 2 white mushrooms, both diced

Saute the onion and carrot with the oil for about 3-5 minutes, until the onion becomes clear.
Add vegetable broth, lentils, onion, carrot, potatoes, mushroom, pepper, thyme and basil to a stew pot. (I don't even know if that is what you call that ginormous pot. That is what I call it. The big one....). Heat to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until lentils and potatoes are soft. Remove the bay leaves and stir in the lemon juice. Yummy in my tummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment