Saturday, November 26, 2011

Being Healthy is a Way of Life

When I was at the gym this morning, I was thinking about all of the reasons that I go. I know that some people work out with a gym partner, but for me being at the gym is time that I get to be with myself and my thoughts. If I'm not running, I spend the time on the elliptical or the bike reading a good book or one of my most recent fitness magazines. Going to the gym turns a bad day into a good one for me. Sometimes I feel as though I am releasing bad energy and letting in the good. Although, having the motivitation isn't always the easiest - being healthy is a way of life.

I don't think that I am the picture of perfect health, but I have had several people ask me for advice. One of the most recent questions is "What diet did you go on?" or "Were there any pills that you used?"

The answers to these two questions are: I eat clean and no way. I take a multivitamin every day. That is it. I know that some people who lift weights take pills, but hopefully it is under the supervision of a certified trainer who knows what is safe and what isn't. The eating regimen that I was on for the competition was crazy strict, but it was clean. 'Diets' in general are poop. Some diets can be a good jump start for your metabolism if you are planning on maintaining a healthy lifestyle to follow, but starving yourself and then eating pizza and beer are not the answers. Healthy eating is a way of life, not a temporary fix. 80% of what your body looks like comes from what you put into your mouth, not how much time you spend on the treadmill.

The most important part is, I work out and eat healthy for me. No one else. It has to be for you, or it just won't stick. Fitting into a smaller size is just an added bonus! Being healthy and losing weight can't start when you walk into the gym doors and end when you leave. It is a lifestyle.

None of us are perfect, in fact there were times prior to becoming vegan that I had to ask Chris to put the Nutella in his locked safe so I wouldn't eat the entire jar....again. If you can't make it to the gym, go for a long walk. Don't beat yourself up for having a cookie, but just don't eat the whole jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment