Monday, December 6, 2010

Long day...long workout...

Slept in and then worked all day. Yippee! 60 minutes of cardio intervals on the bike and then chest and triceps. If there is any non-expert advice that I can give about cardio it is to change it up. I had to learn the hard way. I ran my first marathon in 2006 and became addicted. I couldn't get enough. Run in the morning, run in the evening, run, run, run, run until I got IT band on my right leg in October of 2009 following "The Other Half" half marathon in Moab. For those of you who aren't familiar with IT band, it is the tendon that wraps around the front of your knee and then extends up the side of your thigh. Essentially IT Band Syndrome is tendonitis. I started having knee problems in mile 20 of the salt lake marathon 3 years prior and, first mistake, ignored it. By the time I saw the physical therapist, who I also like to call Nazi, in October she told me it was one of the worst cases of IT Band and sentenced me to a 12 to 18 month recovery with PT. I was unable to bend my knee for the first 24 hours following the half marathon. I am stubborn and I finished because I felt I'd rather finish injured with a bad time, then not finish at all. Bottom line: I got IT band because I wasn't doing anything else besides running. The occassional hike, but nothing else was in my routine. I HATED the bike and that was the first reason that I jumped on one immediately following my horrible no-run-news. My body hated it because I was waking up muscles I wasn't used to. Now, I try to use a different machine every day for one hour. I use intervals as a way to push myself to the limit to keep my muscles from becoming too lazy and familiar with my routine. An hour is not necessary, I am just a bit of a gym-junkie. I did body-for-life in 2004 and 2005. It is an excellent program and it only calls for intense 20 minute cardio intervals every other day. So, if your routine is getting bored or if you feel you've hit a plateau it is a sign to try something new. Take kickboxing, rollerblade, kite-surf.....whatever you've ever wanted to try. It's hard at first, but when I feel I can't go another minute I always think of those last 6 miles in my first marathon. Just think of a time when you've pushed yourself beyond your limit. If I could do that I can do anything. I hope this blog is fun and I will be posting some pics of foods this week. This saturday I will be making pre-workout protein pancakes. I will also include some protein shake recipes and some more of my Summy's Yummies!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment