Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Bucket List

When I started this blog I thought it was mainly because I wanted to hold myself accountable for health goals that I wanted to reach by my 30th birthday. 7 months have passed since said birthday and as I begin this journey into the "dirty thirties", I can't help but think that perhaps I am having some sort of a quaterly-life-crisis (that is of course assuming that I will live to be 120).

I have found myself reflecting a lot on my life, my choices and what I want to accomplish. To say that I regret anything would be a lie. I regret nothing. Everything that I have experienced has brought me to this point in my life and for that I am thankful. It is best to have no regrets. What happens, happens. Some say things happen for a reason, some say it is destiny, some say shit happens. Regardless, it has been my life's mission to live without regrets. Perhaps this is why I find myself in such a pickle today.

When I was having breakfast with my father a few Sundays ago, he mentioned how happy he is that I am "checking off my bucket list". I smiled and wondered "Is that what I'm doing?"

I think that I thought (wording?) that I would have accomplished more of the things on my list at this point in my life. I have come to the conclusion that when I started this blog, it was subconciously more than just a goal-setter. I was setting out a mission. Holding myself accountable to accomplish all of the things I want in life.

When I was 13, I thought that by the time I was 30 I would be "settled down".......

let me stop things right there. Who in the fuck came up with the phrase "settled down"? Seems to me it is a nice way of saying chained to a house, a spouse and kids. Not that I am saying those things are bad, but that is what it sounds like. Like when you "settle down" you buy your house, pump out some kidlets and wait to die.....but I digress.

Ok, so at 13 I thought I would be 'chained' to all of those things. White picket fence, the dog, the kids, the whole shit-in-a-bag. Happy, right? Turns out that isn't what I wanted. I got married. I got divorced. I bought a house. I sold the house. I got a dog. He shits in the house....hmmm......I took in a homeless Mexican dog, what can I say?


So now I am thinking perhaps I should start a bucket list. Don't get me wrong, I love kids....but I still don't know if that whole package is for me. I can barely remember to feed my dog each day and sometimes I think he is passive aggressive about it.....is that possible?

So, here it is. I will begin my bucket list. Here on this blog.....where to start?

No comments:

Post a Comment