Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Doing What We Love

Sorry, it has been a while. I must confess that I have been in a bit of an emotional slump. True to my nature, I have been studying and researching my habits to see what has brought this on. I have recently gained back 5 pounds, I feel that working out has lost it's pizzazz and I have been snappy and fiestier than normal (I am half Mexican so this can be translated to "Hella-Fiesty"). I feel that my slump is the result of a gradual decline in the "fun" in my workouts and activities. I work more and play less. Going to the gym has become a task and since running has been all but removed from my regimen, I find myself desperately trying to replace it with something. I read in Gretchen Rubin's "Happiness Project" that "what you enjoyed as a ten-year-old is probably something that you'll enjoy now."

Solution?

When I was ten, I was in gymnastics and I loved to dance. These activities carried on into my adulthood and I was part of a Utah "Hip-Hop" breakdancing group about 7 years ago. I dropped out as soon as the organizer began insisting we dance to Maroon 5 and Britney Spears. Aside from the sparse visits to the club, I don't really dance anymore. So, much to my dislike, I am going to participate in a Zumba class tomorrow night. I despise workout classes at the gym. I workout alone for a reason. I love the solitude. The only class that I really have found myself to enjoy is Pole Dancing, but I got a little uncomfortable when the instructor told me to pretend I was "dancing for my best client."

I made an "agenda" of the muscles that I will be working out each day and hung it on the fridge. I know that this is task oriented and may sound like it takes the fun out of it, but the fun part is getting to check it off when I have done it. This week I have done back, biceps, chest, triceps and shoulders.

I will blog more often. This makes me feel better and holds me accountable. I will inform my "followers" of the Zumba experience. I will leave time to walk Pogo.

1 comment:

  1. I have been in a work out slump as well...school has gotten especially busy and whenever I find time to relax working out is that last thing I want to do. I have cousins that go to zumba classes and always want me to go with them but haven't yet. You'll have to let me know how it goes!!

    Love your blog by the way :)

    ReplyDelete