Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I love me some INDIAN!!!

Feel better now than I did this morning and overall better than yesterday. I have an appointment with Dr Gleich on Friday to "discuss" things. Still not too hot on the immunotherapy idea and still bound and determined to fix this shiz with my diet. After my run last night I made Chana Masala! YUM! Totally vegan and totally amazing. In fact, it was so good I couldn't stop saying that at dinner "My God, I am AMAZING." For someone who used to hate to cook, I am quite enjoying it. I think the whole vegan factor helps as well. It makes me feel like I am tricking whoever is going to eat, which is usually me but that is quite alright.
I found this recipe on VegWeb.com. I changed it a bit, however, to make it creamer. Here is the recipe:

Chana Masala
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 large garlic clove minced
1 tbsp curry
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
4 tbsp of coconut creamer
1/2 tbsp lime juice (because I forgot to buy a lemon)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp red pepper
2 tbsp vegan margarine

Step Uno:
Heat oil on med/high heat and saute onions until brownish :)


*feel free to make fun of my "chopping" abilities











Decrease heat to medium and add garlic, curry and paste (mmmm, paste.) Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes.



Step 2:
Add chickpeas, coconut creamer, lime juice, salt, black and red pepper. Add margarine, stirring through to melt it.
Here are the brands that I used. They are all vegan/organic. Check the labels! Not everything that states it is organic or vegan is. A USDA stamp of approval means nothing, so use your head.




Stir and simmer for 5 minutes more or until chickpeas are softened and dish is hot.
Last step:
Serve over rice. I used Whole Foods 365 Brown Rice.

YUMMMMMMM!
This recipe is totally vegan, but if you are not vegan you could add anything you wanted like carrots, chicken, potatoes, etc. I added the coconut creamer. The recipe called for 3 tbsp of liquid from the can the chickpeas came out of.....blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment