Thursday, May 5, 2011

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Vegan Bean and "Cheese" Enchiladas! I found this recipe on vegweb.com as well and it was AMAZING!!!!!!



Bean and Cheese Enchiladas
1/2 c flour
1/2 c nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 c vegan butter
1 tsp mustard
2 (10 oz) cans enchilada sauce
2 (14.5 oz) cans of beans (any kind you like, I used pinto and black)
2 medium onions chopped (I used one)
1/2 c salsa (optional)
1/4 c cilantro
10 tortillas

1. Cheese Sauce: In large sauce pan combine flour, nutritional yeast, salt and garlic powder. Whisk in water and heat on medium until sauce is thick and bubbling. Remove from heat and add mustard and vegan butter.

Mix well and set aside 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce.
2. Except for 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce, add the rest of the ingredients to the cheese sauce in the saucepan. Stir to combine.
3. Coat the bottom of a 9 X 13 pan with some of the reserved enchilada sauce. Place a tortilla in the pan and lightly cover with enchilada sauce. Spoon filling into the tortilla, then roll and push it to one end of the pan. Continue this until all tortillas are filled.



* Like the true mexican I am, I stack my tortillas cuz I'm a busy gal and I don't have time for this rolling business. I place two tortillas on the bottom of the pan, spread some of the filling on top then cover with two more tortillas until all of the filling is gone. I finish it off with two tortillas on top and cover it with the left over cheese sauce and encilada sauce.

4. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top and spread reserved cheese.
5. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 - 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment